Ocean News & Technology has launched its first #ROVatWork photo competition. Three winning photographers will be announced and profiled alongside their images in the Nov/Dec issue of ON&T magazine, including information about the ROV technology they have captured.
All you need to do to take a great photo and email it to ON&T editor Greg Leatherman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also include a brief description and your contact details. If you win, we’ll ask you for more information.
The competition is open from 2 April 2018 until 8 October 2018. Photographers of all levels—amateur to professional, corporate to hobbyist— are encouraged to enter. We’re looking for images that show ROV technology at work. Both contemporary and historical images are welcome, but the images cannot have been previously published either online or in print, which includes marketing images, blog posts, and public social media sharing.
Participants must be willing to grant us the rights to publish your image for the competition, including on social media outlets, such as our Twitter feed. You also must be reachable — we’ll get in touch to ask you about your photo if you are one of our three winners. We may also contact runners-up to find out more about the story behind the image.
The winning entries will be decided by a panel of ON&T staff and ROV experts.
Conceptual renderings will not be considered. Digital logos cannot be included on the photo, but a company logo may appear on the ROV or other equipment in the image. We are happy to mention company names in the caption. Finally, your photo must be at a high enough resolution for print publishing in ON&T (at least 300 dpi at 3,000 pixels on the longest side) to be considered.
Full terms and conditions of the #ROVatWork competition are included below.
Best of luck to all of you and we look forward to seeing your photos.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By entering into this Ocean News & Technology ROVatWork photo competition (“Promotion”), you agree that you have read these terms and that you agree to them. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in your disqualification from the Promotion.
- This Promotion is run by TSC Publishing, having an office located at 7897 Jack James Dr, Suite A, Stuart FL, 34997, hereafter referred to as the Promoter.
- To enter this Promotion, you must be: (a) resident in a country where it is lawful for you to enter; and (b) aged 18 years old or over (or the applicable age of majority in your country if higher) at the time of entry. This Promotion is void in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria and where prohibited or restricted by law.
- This Promotion is not open to directors or employees (or members of their immediate families) of Promoter or any subsidiary of Promoter. Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants.
- The Promotion is open for entries between 00:00 on 4/2//2018 and 00:00 on 10/8/2018 EST.
- No purchase is necessary to enter this prize Promotion and will not increase your chances of winning.
- You can enter this Promotion in the following way: by a) emailing your photo to email@example.com.
- Entries should be high-resolution jpeg files (at least 300 dots per inche [dpi] at 3,000 pixels on the longest side). Digital adjustments that maintain the integrity of the image are allowed. It is not permitted to make any material physical change. You may not, for example, add or remove objects or people. Digital adjustments including tone and contrast, burning, dodging, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, minor cleaning work, HDR, stitched panoramas, focus stacking and multiple exposure taken at the same location at the same time (as a continuous sequence) are permitted.
- Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. No other form of entry is permitted. Please keep a copy of your entry as we will be unable to return entries or provide copies.
- The prize for the Promotion consists of the following: publication in ON&T magazine, alongside participants’ name and affiliation (if applicable). The editors reserve full editorial discretion in choosing winner(s) and may decide to award none of the entries.
- The prizes shall be awarded as follows: The prize will be decided in the week following the close of the competition. The winner(s) will be notified via email. Winner(s) will be selected by a panel of ON&T staff, at least one of which will be independent from the competition, along with at least one career ROV expert, based off of photographic merit, creativity, photo quality, and impact. Full names of the judging panel will be available on request. Any decision will be final and binding, and no further communication will be entered into in relation to it.
- Ownership of entries: for consideration into this competition, you must be willing to sign a license to publish form granting a license of the intellectual property rights in your image to the Promoter. Such license will be supplied by the Promoter to selected entries and will include the right to use the entry in promotional or marketing material in print and online. You confirm that your entry is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws, including privacy laws, whether of the USA or elsewhere, or any rights of any third party, that no other person was involved in the creation of your entry, that you have the right to give Promoter and its respective licensees permission to use it for the purposes specified herein, that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent, guardian or carer if they are under 18 (or the applicable age of majority), it is lawful for you to enter and that you agree not to transfer files which contain viruses or any other harmful programs. Any identifiable person in the entry will be required to sign a model release.
- The winner(s) of the Promotion shall be notified as follows: contacted by email no more than two weeks after the competition closes. If the winner enters the Promotion via social media, the Promoter will use reasonable endeavors to contact the winner but reserves the right to reject any such entry the winner cannot be contacted.
- Promoter’s decision is final and Promoter reserves the right not to correspond on any matter.
- The name and region of residence of the winners may be used by Promoter for reasonable post-event publicity in any form including on Promoters website and social media pages at no cost.
- You can find out who has won a prize by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or checking oceannews.com. Winners will be announced in ON&T in a November / December 2018 careers feature.
- Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend these Terms and Conditions or change the Prize (to one of equal or greater value) as required by the circumstances. No cash equivalent to the Prize is available.
- All personal data submitted by entrants, such as email address and phone number, will be kept private by TSC Publishing.
- Promoter may at its sole discretion disqualify any entrant found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the Promotion.
- So far as is permitted by law, the Promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Promotion or any aspect of the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the entrant’s own risk. Your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.
- The Promotion may be sponsored by a third party engaged by the Promoter.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States of America. Disputes arising in connection with this Agreement shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the United States.